Sunday, January 4, 2009

chicken tortilla soup

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients:
4 uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2- 15oz cans black beans
2- 15 oz cans of petite diced tomatoes
1 cup salsa
1- 4 oz. can of green chilies, undrained
1- 14 1/2 oz. can of tomato sauce
1 large can of black olives, chopped
1 can of corn, drained
chopped onion, to taste (I do a whole medium sized one)
1-2 cloves garlic--to taste
handful fresh cilantro
2-3 tbsp. chili powder (however much you want to add)
2-3 tsp. tumeric
1-2 tsp. cumin
1/4 cup brown sugar or Splenda brown sugar mix--this cuts the acidic nature of the tomatoes which I don't care for.

Toppings:
Tortilla chips (The best are the Lime Tortilla chips)
Avocado
Sour Cream
Shredded Cheese
Chopped green onion

Directions:
Combine all ingredients, except toppings, in large slow cooker
Cover and cook on low 8 hours
Just before serving, remove chicken and chop into bite sized pieces. Stir back into soup.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Ooh, is it pretty over here! I haven't visited this blog in a while. I LOVE the black and white and the photograph.

I came over to check out the recipe and added it to my menu for the week.

gail@more than a song said...

I love that this goes in the crockpot, makes it easy!
Great picture in your header, is that your kitchen?

Beth F said...

OMG!!!! This looks awesome. I'm printing it out now!

Heather said...

have printed out a copy of this to give it a try.

Bonnie said...

I came over here following your weekend cooking post. This looks and sounds wonderful. I've saved a copy of the recipe for my files and plan to try it. Thanks for sharing!